Thoughts : Not prying

 Maybe its just me. Probably just me. 

Sometimes when talking to a friend or a teacher or a family member, I just rule out certain topics. For example if I'm talking to a friend who recently failed a science test, I wouldn't mention exams. If I was talking to a family member who fought with a cousin , I wouldn't bring up their name. 

It is all done with good intention. To not offend them, to not pry. But sometimes I fail to understand when I SHOULD cross the line. 


Picture Credit : Apurva V


What I mean is if you are close to someone you can talk to them. They might feel better if you talk to them. They will know you care. They might feel reassured that there's someone backing them up, someone who cares enough to try. 

But, if I am stuck on the end of NOT INTERFERING I may not realize that they want me to interfere. 

Then again, they should spit it out if they want me to talk about it. 

We make these silent assumptions in our head based on experience. Of course, that's what we do. It is a human thing. But sometimes, 'Interfering' may be just showing how much you care and how much you want to help. It's still foggy in my head. But, atleast I have typed it down now. 



Comments

  1. Lovely thought Anjali. Sometimes even I wonder when I should hold back and when to push. I think the only key I find to this is to put ourselves in the other person's shoes at the moment and do what is good for them. But the fact that you can recognise a subtle change in their mood itself is good because you will then deal with them sensitively. V nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very real dilemma. I never thought of it so clearly before but I do go through this ever so often. Thanks for putting it down so clearly Anjali. Next time I face this, I will ask myself, am I doing this because I care and want to help or only to pay lip service or get some gossip.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Over the MUN

Cast-e Your Eye Over : Happy Ambedkar Jayanti

Out with the Old, In with the New