Sinhagad : The Climb

 Sinhagad has been a word I had been hearing a lot all my life. I don't remember it, but apparently I climbed it when I was younger. Pooja , during an interview, told me that ascending Sinhagad was one of her best achievements. It helped prove to herself that she was fit. When Parth mama suggested the trek, I hoped it would be one to remember too.

I was initially skeptical to miss school , but a push from Mansi and my teachers' enthusiastic agreement convinced me. I didn't have shoes - realised I never owned them, only borrowed from Mama - so I wore Ajji's old shoes. They were a little tight. But they would be fine. My oh my, was I wrong! 

So, I stayed up an hour later than usual and read up about Sinhagad's history. Initially built about a 1000 years ago in the Satavahana period, it was known as Kondhana. The Bahamanis and Tughlaqs played some passing the parcel and then the Mughals acquired it. Then , begins, the most famous story associated with it. That of Tanhaji Malusare. A general of Chhatrapathi Shivaji, Tanhaji Malusare attempted to conquer this almost impregnable fort. He is said to have ascended the steep rock on a gorpad - Monitor Lizard. After a valiant fight, he was killed by a Rajput Mughal soldier. His brother carried on the battle and victory was achieved. In response to the death of a trusted member, Shivaji said - 'Gad aala, pan sinha gela' (The fort is acquired , but the lion is lost.) Thence, was the monument named Sinhagad. 

[Hopefully, the details are correct.]

Sinhagad's strategic position made it a place that everyone wanted. The steepness provided enough of a barrier, that not many bastions or war cannons were built. It had two entries as I saw - Pune Darwaza and Kalyan Darwaza. 

After a good sleep, I woke at 545 AM and changed my clothes and put on ,my mask. Parth mama and co arrived at 635 ish and I sat with Neha in their Celerio. We all had fun, chit-chatting and playing games. We stopped at Khadakwasla Lake and Dam to enjoy the scene. Mom went to the loo and on the way back - twisted her ankle! We went ahead and stopped at Hotel Kinara. After much discussion over chai, we decided that Nana and Mama would stay back in the car and me, Neha, Parth mama and Maria mami would go ahead. We started off at around 740 am and it was quite cold. Took plenty of pictures and moods were high. Laughing , talking and cracking sufficient PJs. The track soon was just rocks and rocks and all limbs were required. Me and Neha took the steeper, difficult routes under the pretence - 'We've come all the way !' . As the sun roared at me, I drained more and more. Stops were more frequent. But spirits were still high. My big toes were aching pretty badly due to the shoes but I persevered . Looking up at a glimpse of the past every now and then to get incentive. Once we reached, there was so much crowd that we were forced to wear the masks. One glass of Lemonade was almost gulped down! THen, we walked and walked and walked and walked (atleast felt like it) till we reached one of the many identical stalls. Except this one's owner had known the Gokhales for over 20 years! finally! I removed my shoes and wriggled my toes..bliss! We had one matka of room temperature dahi followed by Kanda Bhaji. Then , another long walk, with excrutiating pain in my toes. We went to Kalyan Darwaza and the Ice golas I saw gave me such throwback! Then, after what seemed like eternity, we reached one Kulfi man and Neha was bent on having one, so I did too. Malai Kulfi. 

Photo Reel - Some of many












Then, we reached Maushi's stall again and had Pithla - Bhakri. I am so sorry, but I am not a fan! I filled myself upto my neck and then we started again. I tried not to pay attention to my toes. This time my pinky toes hurt too. The road seemed unfamiliar looking at it from the top. The first half of the descent was a breeze. Then, my toes began screaming. I was almost on the verge of tears, but I released my frustration through a series of 'Ows' and 'Aas'. Neha was a huge relief. She kept distracting me with a series of random questions. Yet,  This descent seemed like double of the whole thing. My happiness when I saw their bright orange Celerio was incredible! I plopped myself down in the back seat and took off my shoes..Aaaaah! Then , we went back to Hotel Kinara and I had three glasses of water. Then, I broke all my principles and had a sip of 7Up. Who cares? I just went up and down Sinhagad! 

Then, I messaged Mansi and she filled me up with extensive details about the school day. We went to see the back of the dam, full of colourful sarees drying in the sun and people squatting to wash clothes. There was not much water as it was winter. Then, we reached home and I immediately went for my bath. Aaah! 

Overall, this trip was certainly one to cherish! It was an incredible journey in which I learnt the importance of shoes. 

After Effects

After effects were both good and painful. 

  • My pinkies got big balloon blisters which didn't hurt but looked gross. 
  • My left big toe got a big black bruise that did hurt. 
  • Suhita maushi bought me my first pair of my own shoes. Puma Hybrid Astro. Black and Pink :)
  • Me and Neha went that night to Manik Ajji's house to have dinner and catch up on Marathi serials. 

Comments

  1. Glad I was instrumental in getting you to prove your fitness! Here's to more such treks (so long as I stay fit!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super stuff A. Glad you realised the importance of shoes. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cast-e Your Eye Over : Happy Ambedkar Jayanti

Over the MUN

Existential Philosophy : Karim Benammar