Opinion: What Wonder Woman 1984 taught me

 Shortly after watching the movie, and feeling slightly disappointed with the ending, I had printed out quotes to stick around my room. I picked some from the movie - 'It's  Not About Deserve, It's about what you believe.'

Now, it took me a while to process that. 

I was thinking once more about the persecution that has been going on in the country for a while. There are so many rumours going around about how this group has always hated us or how it does not belong. 

To combat this, I've always tried to come up with an equal argument. Trying to prove how their facts aren't true or that we can't judge based on the past. Then, I realised that this is far beyond that. 

I believe in 'Just leave me alone!'


Pretend that these people are horrible. That they do hate us. Does that make it okay to persecute them?

They may be terrible people, who may or may not deserve this treatment. But, it's not about DESERVE, it's about what we as a nation believe in. 

Our country is based on secularism. The fact that we accept everyone and revel in our diversity. 

Let's get that back!

Comments

  1. Right on Anjali. It's what we believe in that matters in the end. Am with you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cast-e Your Eye Over : Happy Ambedkar Jayanti

Over the MUN

Existential Philosophy : Karim Benammar