Poetry : The Fur of Golden Wheat

 Young and fierce, the mother lay

Looking amongst the bushes

Each rustle sending a chill in her spine

Of something wild and vicious


With fur of golden wheat

And eyes that captured the world

She had a growl of rumbling thunder

When a threat bound onward


Four little balls of flesh

Suckled unto her

Starving herself,

She had no respite


A human arrived one day

Stood far and stood

For hours until she got close to her

and finally her puppies had love


Now they had a home

With humans for lord's sake

They were one of the lucky ones

For they had friends after all

Golden Wheat




Sona, darling!

Is there not the World in these eyes?


Rest in Peace, Zindagi


Her puppies grew big and playful

And jumped around the pots

And stole their way into the hearts

Of every human on the block


Yet there was always a fear

A Fear of something unknown

Until one day it came true

And into the dark went one young 'un


Another was injured

And the girl could not take it anymore

The pup stayed inside, 

And all her dreams were realised


But she had to part too, with her other little sister

For the human family had to be preserved


Heart ache like never before

As she had never had to lose

Something so full of life and love

And she had never had to choose


The puppies now live in bliss

With loving owners on a farm

But the mother with the fur of golden wheat

Who turned my life upside down

Will continue to persist


Comments

  1. Have been looking for Journals / Magazines that take Submissions for Poetry or Prose. If you know of any, do let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's intense Anjali. Beautiful. I am glad you wrote about your experience with Akela, Kroor, Zindagi, Zor and Sona - an experience that touched all of us deeply, you more so. I can never forget the way you made friends and cared for all of them and I am sure they are so grateful to you and your love. I am (and I am sure Mamma is too) grateful to you for showing us a window into how to love. I've always found writing to be a cathartic experience when dealing with stuff in life so I am glad you put it down.
    There are two things that impact me when I read anything - one that I feel an emotion inside in a new way and another that I wish I could have thought of it - a line, a phrase, a word - myself. I felt both while reading the poem.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Over the MUN

Cast-e Your Eye Over : Happy Ambedkar Jayanti

Out with the Old, In with the New